Monday, February 18, 2013

Learning Judo Helped Me Fall Safely



I have lived with a mild physical challenge all my life, now and then I may share my experiences and  hope to connect with others who have physical challenges like mine in their lives. My particular prognosis is Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSH or FSHD) leaving some of my muscles very weak, which translates into some balance issues as I get older. Here is the link to Muscular Dystrophy Association of America.
Living with a physical challenge means I have always been terrible at sports, but I needed one Phys Ed credit to graduate college. So when a dorm buddy asked me to enroll in Judo 101 with him, I said sure. (I can get a D just as easily in one sport as another, so what the heck!)
The first semester of Judo meant we spent 2 hours 2 nights a week for 16 weeks practicing falling. (Who Knew?) So we practiced to relax, look around as you kicked your leg out from under you with your other leg, tuck and roll.  Landing safely on that mat became second nature.
I never took a second semester where we would have started to learn how to throw people, but got the credit I needed.

Over the years my balance got a bit worse, but until a few years ago, I never broke anything.
I even fell head first down a flight of stairs at home twice in 20 years
, stood up and walked away, and only got a few bruises. It was some of the best training I could have received, to prepare me to fall, on occasion, for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment