Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mississippi Delta View

I flew over the Mississippi River Delta last week as I landed in New Orleans. The mud peeking through the surface of the water, changes with the rising and falling tides. I have never had such a view before.
The hand of man has dredged hundreds of channels through the mud and I was surprised to see a few homes out there on the precarious looking turf, accessible only by boat. I wondered what type of person lived out there far from the protective flood walls around New Orleans. A risky location, time and again overwhelmed by water.
However, the place must hold a special beauty like no other, along the edge of the gulf, soft  ground, no trees, struggling vegetation, fish and foul at every turn, to lure a few assured individuals to brave that location. I found its eery beauty enthralling.

No comments:

Post a Comment